Monday, February 15, 2010

Aliens Stole My Dog!

Remember back to this post when I talked about how my dogs become aliens at work? Well, it seems that the aliens really invaded and they left a "normal" dog instead of Abby. SERIOUSLY!

Abby and I went to our first Rally-O class this weekend at a facility in Redwood city, taught by Just Rewards Canine Training. Our instructor is very nice and was careful to accommodate Abby's issues. The funny thing, was that Abby didn't have issues! SERIOUSLY. She acted like a normal dog! I was shocked to see how well she was doing in a NEW place with STRANGE people. Once she realized what we were doing there she fell right into position and did exactly what I asked. I was super proud of her!

I, on the other hand, was a bumbling fool. No surprises there. Part of the issue was that we have always practiced rally using AKC rules and we are taking a class for APDT. There is a bit of a difference because in APDT you can reward your dog (using food) and they marry the signs. They also uses sign holders instead of cones (confusing if you are used to looking for orange!). Most of the signs are similar, but a few are different. My main issue was walking a straight line. I never have been able to walk a straight line. When I first started training dogs, my instructor would set me up on a painted line and I would have to follow it. Even with all that, I still don't know where I am on a course. I typically trip over agility jumps and occasionally on my own dog!

Despite me, Abby did great! I have always said that Abby should do obedience because she gets the game. I am just surprised that she still did so well in a new facility. I am not sure when the aliens traded my dog, but I am glad they did. I like this new one!

No comments: