Monday, August 30, 2010

Run Thru Re-Do

Abby and I went to another Rally Run Thru this past Friday in preparation for our upcoming trial in October. We went to one last month too, and learned a lot, and it was important for me - training-wise to go to another one. Boy did I learn a TON!!!!

The run thru was set up a bit differently this time - level 1 ran first, and we were the first dog on the line. Abby spent a tiny bit of time in the crate while I helped set up, but there was a ton of commotion with everyone coming in and setting up. I was a bit worried about how she would handle all the craziness going on, but I think that she did ok considering that she was still willing to work with me after it all.

We didn't quite as well as last time. We NQ'd the first run - my fault completely, I skipped a sign.... Abby followed directions and we only got a 3 points off for tight leashes and we got a 6 out of 10 on the bonus. If I was a better handler and didn't miss the sign, we would have gotten a 203. Pretty good for us. But that run and that potential score didn't make me that happy because Abby looked miserable the entire time. I had to work really hard to keep her moving. I actually felt bad for her.

For the second run I decided that we were going to throw a party in the ring and the only sign I wanted to do right was the one I missed. It was an easy sign so I didn't have to put any pressure on either of us to actually do it right. Our score this time was a 195 and I was quite happy with it. Abby had a great time, her tail was wagging and we were having a ton of fun. I rewarded her by throwing the treats and that brought out her fun side and kept her wanting to work with me. It made me feel good that we could go out there, have fun, and still do well - even if we didn't get the best score. But a 195 is still quite good - even for us!

I learned a HUGE lesson this week, and it is one that I have always known, but one that was really obvious this time - Abby depends on my stability for her stability. I was really nervous on the first run and I know that it traveled down the leash because it showed in the way we worked together. Abby was at least arms distance from me the entire run. I'm sure she noticed my discomfort and wanted to give me plenty of space in case I had a break-down or something. The second run she was much closer to me, was having fun, but still kept some of her distance. At the time I thought that we just needed to work on tighter heeling . . . then we went to class on Sunday and we were back in perfect stride. We did some great on-leash and off-leash heeling AND we had a ton of fun. I have to find a way to keep my nerves in check so that it doesn't effect Abby's already fragile mind.

No comments: