Sunday, March 06, 2011

Running Again

Many lifetimes ago, I used to run. And when I say run, I don't mean 2 or 3 miles one to two days a week. I mean 10-14 miles 4 day a week with an 18 miler tucked somewhere in there. I used to run a lot - mainly because I needed to. I had so many things going on in my mind that the only time I could think clearly was out on a run. I really wanted to run a marathon, but my body always seemed to break down past 18 miles. But I still kept running. Then I took a job working 6-7 days a week working 9-12 hour days and my running got put on hold. I missed it, but I was too tired to go back to it. Starting a running program all over takes more dedication then continuing the one you are already on.

Fast froward a few years to last year and Tough Mudder. A super awesome event with a measly 7 mile hike through the hills. Yeah, right! It wasn't as tough as they made it out to be, but I think too many people said that on their post race questionnaire, because this year looks much tougher. After seeing it, I figured that I had better start training for it. I don't want to fall apart before finishing. Training needs to be done in a few phases, but one important part of this event is running on trails. I probably won't end up running during the event itself, but I think that running our low hills will be great practice for my legs.

One of the best things about running as a sport is that there is no equiptment needed, and you don't need a certain number of people in order to do it. Some people say that the only thing you need for running is a good pair of shoes, but even that is debatable now. Last week I bought a pair of minimalist trail shoes, but couldn't seem to get used to their unique design. I returned them yesterday and was planning on buying the other pair that I liked, but they were out of those. I have some of them on order, but while I was waiting for them to do that, I fell in love with another pair of shoes.



They are lightweight and flexible, and they have a super awesome grip. When I first got them, I wasn't entirely sure that I was going to keep them, but after running a half-mile on pavement this morning, I think that I am going to keep them. I need to rip out the soles, add some arch supports, and re-do the laces, but I think that these bad boys are going to be hanging around for awhile. I'm looking forward to my first trail run in them. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: