Monday, September 07, 2009

I Forget

Mole can no longer do agility. His back went out, and while he is feeling better, we aren't risking his health. It's sad, because we both really enjoyed it.

What this means for us, is that Abby will have to step up her training. I was thinking that we would have a year where we could slowly introduce obstacles and settings, but that leisurely time is gone. She is going to be on the fast track for training. Although the "fast track" for Abby is anything but fast for me. It is painfully slow. . .

We went to the yard today to do some basics, and boy was it basic. I had to re-teach EVERY jump. . .BOTH WAYS! Something that she can do easily in one place is suddenly scary and new in a different place. It's frustrating for me because she knows this. WE know this.

And in the middle of my frustrations, I have to remind myself that Abby really is doing a great job - for Abby. I forget that she spent the first 5 years of her life in a box. I forget that she used to run away from me. I forget that she had no socialization to anything but other dogs during crucial periods in her mental development. I forget that Abby has come so far. . .I forget that Abby isn't Mole. Mole is a once in a lifetime dog and partner. And on top of his all around greatness, we have also had 6 years together to develop a bond and trust that makes doing agility easy and fun. Not only is Abby not there, but we aren't there together.

This doesn't mean that we are going to slow down training. . .it means that we are going to have to take a different approach than mole and I did. It means that I have to work at her level, and that we need to do more bonding exercises. It means that I have to become a better trainer...

No comments: