Friday, January 29, 2010

Still A Ways To Go

Abby had a huge break -through last night in class - she got on the pause table! I was so proud I almost cried. We have been working on the table for MONTHS and we were hardly any closer then the day we started. . .but everything came together yesterday and she hopped right up there and did a down!

It is funny to watch Abby run some of the more "scary" obstacles without a care in the world, but something as banal as a table and her world comes crashing down. To be fair, the table is a bit higher in class than it would be in a trial - but it is no higher than our bed at home that she takes a running leap and almost flies OFF of! Abby's main fear of the table is that is moves. The legs are interchangeable to account for the height differences in dogs and the legs make the table a bit wobbly...and a bit wobbly from my perspective means the world is crashing down around Abby.... and I have to spend months trying to convince her to even get close to it.

Abby has come so far in the short period of time that we have been together, but I know that she still has a long way to go. A year and a half ago I would never have asked any of this from her - let alone even consider asking her more more. But as our relationship has grown, so has her confidence. And as her confidence has grown, she continues to amaze even me at what she can accomplish. Our last agility obstacle is the teeter. . .a few weeks ago I wanted to give up training it because she was so terrified of it. But after working with her consistently I can actually get her to take treats near it! And yesterday she put her foot on it - twice! I think that it might be another year before we can even do a baby height teeter, but that is ok. We are still working together and that is what this is all about.

Terri Arnold said "What you get in the ring is a
byproduct of the relationship you have with your dog"


Abby and I are building our relationship every day through training, and I think that our (very teeny) accomplishments, in and out of an agility ring, have shown that we make a great team.

No comments: