Monday, July 11, 2011

Almost Lost One

Alternate Title: Pocket Would've Been So Happy

This is a picture of Sniper - exhausted- after I almost lost him today. Actually, I think that he would tell you he lost me instead.


On our regular morning hike sniper went up the hill chasing something - like he usually does, but this time he must've come down a different way then he went up because he couldn't seem to find me. I stood in the place where he left me and kept talking to him - I could hear him running around, but I couldn't see him to give him any directionally cues. This went on for what seemed like forever but was probably only a full minute or two. When I couldn't hear him anymore I figured that he was back on the path and headed the wrong way. I told him that I was "up here" and started clapping my hands and a few seconds later he practically jumped into my arms panting wildly. He sat down and put his head in my lap and had a look of completely relief on his face.

It is always scary "loosing" a dog. My mind immediately went back to when Abby was lost in the woods for 6 weeks. But this time, I knew that sniper wasn't actually running away - he just couldn't find his way back. I figured that if I stood where he last saw me that he would eventually come back, but this extremely smart dog is still a teenage boy which means that, at times, the elevator doesn't always go all the way up.

No comments: