Saturday, July 16, 2011

Fun Match with Giant Brownish-Red Dog

If the title doesn't make sense to you, it's because you've never lived with a red-headed dog. And if you, like me, have said you will NEVER own a red-head but end up living with one anyway, you will understand the title completely! For the rest of you out there. . . I hope you never have the "joy" of living with a red-head!

Sniper had his first fun match today and he was A-mazing! Not only was this a new environment with new people and new dogs, but this is also a very new sport to him. He has only been doing this for about two months! I entered him in two jumpers runs because his contacts aren't solid enough for a standard run and his teeter is practically non-existent at this point. He is weaving, but we are still training and I don't want to push him on 12 poles. My main goal for today was to have fun and to tire him out! I think that we succeeded on both accounts.

Here are two videos of sniper's jumper's runs. I only worked a few jumps in sequence choosing to reward frequently. Looking back, I probably could have pushed him a bit more, but I'd rather over reward and have fun then under reward and get mistakes later on. He knocked a few bars and it's pretty clear that most of those are my fault as I stopped short or called him mid-jump. There was one jump that he didn't end up taking that I didn't notice until I actually saw the video and while I think I set him up properly for it, I think that we don't have enough lateral distance for him to have taken the jump. This dog watches my body movements like a hawk and I'm still learning to adjust for that.






Abby ran in a jumper's run too, but unfortunately it want's caught on video. I'm hoping that we got some photos; but I'll blog about that soon enough.

2 comments:

themacinator said...

you guys look really professional. it's pretty different from watching you and abby- having a big red dog changes the whole thing.

Daisy's Mom said...

After reading your comments on my blog I just had to come over and see yours. Abby is gorgeous! I cannot believe she is doing agility. Perhaps I haven't done enough with Daisy.


I have to say, Sniper is gorgeous too. What energy and enthusiasm! It must be fun to do agility. I've often thought of trying it with my Sheltie, Jasper, but I suspect he would prefer to try herding sheep. :)

Thanks again for stopping by.