Thursday, July 23, 2009

Crash - Test Nightmare

I have this recurring nightmare where I am in a terrible car accident and my dogs are severely injured. Because my dogs come with me almost everywhere, the likelihood of them being in the car with me if I ever crash is extremely high. I worry about their safety at all times, but this is starting to become a serious fear - not as bad as my needle phobia, but slightly higher than a normal worry.

My dogs do not ride safely in my car. Pocket is usually helping me steer and Abby and mole are usually asleep on a bed in the back. I know that riding in this manner is not safe, but its easy. When you have three dogs that get into and out of the car about four times a day, ease of use often becomes the norm.

I have tried different methods in the past, but they have all failed. For starters, crates don't fit well in my tiny back seat. When I finally found a crate that did fit, the dogs got out of it. Yes, my perfectly crate trained dogs can get out of crates when they feel that they are being crated unfairly. Harnesses are difficult for many reasons. For one, I have three dogs and two back seats. Second, I have one dog that can't be in a harness anymore (old broken ribs) and one dog that will chew her way out of something uncomfortable. That only leaves one safely restrained dog - and while I do love him most, that doesn't mean I want the others injured.

On top of restraint issues, I have a second fear. . .this one is slightly more crazy than the first. . .I am afraid that something will happen and I won't be able to get my dogs out of their restraints. First worry: I drive off a bridge and they drown. Second worry: I get in a fiery crash and they burn. Third worry: I get car jacked and my dogs are stuck with a man with a gun. I know I am crazy, but these are serious fears, even if they are slightly irrational.

I bring this up because I saw a post on a dog forum today about crash-test dogs using different restraint methods. The video is in German so I am not really sure how fast the car is going or what the reporter is saying, but the images speak for themselves. And after watching this video I imagine that I will have a whole new batch of nightmares. But I am going to have to rethink my non-restraint methods.

Any idea would be greatly appreciated. . .

No comments: