Sunday, July 12, 2009

Great Idea. . .Needs Work

Let me first say that I love Smartdogs. They are a training facility in Minnesota that focuses on communication with your dog rather then obedience. And like most trainers, they understand that when you can communicate effectively with your dog, you will have a more obedient dog. Smartdogs also has a weblog that I read frequently. They post a lot of news stories regarding animals or animal rights but they also post a fair amount of thier own personal thoughts/opionions.

Recently they created "DO-TAG" or Dog Owner Threat Assesment Guide. You see, dangerous dogs aren't the real problem. . .the owner is. And it is the management by the owner that either creates or allows the dog to cause a problem. According to their website:

The goal of this draft guide is to provide a free, easy-to-use tool for authorities to employ in assessing a given dog owner’s risk to his dog and the public. The guide could allow local authorities to identify potentially problematic dog owners with regard to their real or potential threat so that limited resources can be focused on those dog owners most likely to have unplanned litters, encourage aggressive behavior in their dogs, let them run at large or otherwise engage in potentially dangerous and/or antisocial behaviors.

That sounds like a fantasic idea, but sounds difficult to implement so they came up with an assesment sheet. A simplt 10 question test to determine the owner's risk factor. I was interested, so I went ahead and took the test. And, according to the test, I am either an annoying dog owner or a dangerous dog owner - depending on how truthful I am with one of the questions.

1) When you call your dog does he:
I would never let my dog off leash! -7pts

2)When you are gone your dog is:
Loose in my house where he doesn’t get in trouble. - 0 pts
Crated in my house because he’s destructive and can’t be trained. - 6 pts
(I gave myself 3 pts here since its a little of both answers)

3)When you walk your dog on leash:
He constantly drags me down the street no matter what I do. -8pts
(I gave myself 5 pts for this one since we are working in it . . .for a year!)

4)When you groom your dog:
He doesn’t like it but he puts up with it. - 2pts

5)When your dog misbehaves:
I usually discover what he’s done after the fact. - 8pts

6)Your dog is:
A dog with a dog’s needs and desires. - 0pts

7)When children are around:
I lock up my dog. He hates kids. - 7pts

8)I have two or more dogs because:
I know that I can take better care of them then anyone else - 20pts (and I may be a hoarder)
I have the time, energy, space, money and other resources I need to enjoy them all. - 0pts

9) Your dog was:
Spayed or neutered before I got it. - 0 pts

10) Your dog obeys commands like sit, down, and stay:
Only if there are no distractions around. - 8 pts

I consider myself to be a good dog owner. I think that most of my friends would consider me to be a good dog owner. But according to this, I am, at the very least, an annoying dog owner. Those of us that know Abby, know that in this case, it is the dog. . .not the owner. . .that is the problem in this relationship. But as an good owner, I know that I can manage my problem dog safely in society. But, also as a good owner, I know that if I could not manage her safely, then I would also have to make some tough decisions so that everyone in our life would remain safe.

I think that this DO-TAG is a really great concept and when I read it I wanted to scream FINALLY! It would be wonderful if we could come up with an easy way to red flag owners so that the owners could be managed better; and, in turn, both the dogs under their care, and the general public could stay safe. This is a much better idea then mine idea of taking the dumb owners out back and having a "come to Jesus meeting. " I don't think that it would go over very well once the media got involved. . .

No comments: