Thursday, October 15, 2009

Dogs: Companions or Property?

Let me start out by saying that I love my dogs. I have scheduled my life around their needs including taking jobs that allow me to bring my dogs to work. I spend the majority of my income on their medical, food, and fun bills. I call them my kids because they truly are a part of me.

All that being said, I am thankful that they are my property. I am glad that I own my dogs and that someone cannot come and take them away from me just because they have different ideas of how I should care for them.

While many people who know me would think that it is ridiculous that someone would even try to take my dogs away from me. After all, they spend the majority of their day with me. They are well trained and social members of society. They eat a healthier diet then I do, and they get regular vet care. However, there are a few things that I do differently then most people that could cause someone, somewhere concern. First, I do not vaccinate my dogs - at all. While vaccination requirements are under debate, what I do is still considered *rogue* by some vets. And on top of not vaccinating, I bring my dogs to work every day where they come in contact with potentially sick animals. That could be construed as endangerment. The second thing I do that can cause controversy is that I keep my dogs thin. Studies have shown that animals that are kept just slightly under weight live years longer then animals that are over weight. And while one of my dogs is supposed to be thin based on breed standard, she is often viewed as too thin by the general public. From time to time, she is too thin based on my standards too, but she is very active, has a high metabolism, and she eats food based on eye-balled amounts. I try, but I am not perfect, and maybe to some, I neglect the caloric needs of my dogs.

I understand why certain groups are promoting animals as companions and not property. I would love to see the abuse and neglect of animals put to an end. But I think that most of that can be done with stricter enforcement of already existing animal cruelty laws. My dogs are MINE, your dogs are YOURS. If there is concern about the welfare of someone's dog, a call to a trained animal control officer will sort things out. Once that has been done and proper care has been established, you do not have the right to steal another person's pet just because you disagree with how it is being housed/cared for.

No comments: