Monday, October 05, 2009

Procrastination

Procrastination is never a good thing. I always do it, and I am always sorry I do. And when I finally get around to doing what I've been procrastinating, I always think"gee, that was easy. I should have done that earlier."

I have been procrastinating my 100K mile car tune up for about 20K miles. Its not really a good thing when you consider how much I travel for dog stuff. I really should have taken care of this a year ago, but car stuff is always a pain to deal with and it is always so expen$ive!

My car started smoking today. Real smoke. Luckily I was literally one block from my mom's house. I pulled over, grabbed the dogs and ran. (I'm a little paranoid about car smoke because my friend's car caught on fire a few years ago.) I called my dad and he came over to check things out - turns out it wasn't as bad as I had thought (well, at least not according to the estimate!) It seems that there is just a crack in one of the hoses. And while my dad can easily fix that, I figured that we might as well take it to a professional and have them do everything that's needed. Another lucky break - our mechanic is only 5 blocks from our house. My dad braved the steam and drove it over there. I should have it back tomorrow afternoon.

And while I was very lucky that this didn't happen on my way to sacramento, if I had taken care of the tune up, this never would have happened at all. And it probably would have cost the same amount. And I still would have been out of a car for a day. But I wouldn't have been worrying about it randomly at night when I couldn't do anything about it. Let this be a lesson: don't procrastinate car stuff!

No comments: