Monday, June 30, 2008

Busy Day

Abby has had a crazy 24 hours.

After being found in Union City she was brought to a local vet where she sat patiently while we removed countless ticks from her. She then had the unfortunate experience of getting a bath with an open wound. I know it sounds terrible of me but I did get the go ahead from the vet first - and she really needed it. Not only did she smell terribly, but she also had a bunch of dirt stuck in clumps around her and she was full of fleas. Since she was to have surgery today, she wouldn't be allowed a bath for three weeks. And the bath not only killed the fleas, but it was also soothing for her sun burn and scabby skin. Her surgery today was a long endeavor cleaning and suturing the open wounds, removing a mysterious growth on the side of her body and cleaning her teeth. She has a long road to recovery, but I think she will make it.

Abby will be fine, but I'm not sure that I will be. I have a constant rush of adrenaline from telling more and more people her story. I didn't sleep at all last night - Abby slept off and on - as long as the TV was on she was ok. But I really can't sleep with the TV on, so that in and of itself made my night difficult - not to mention the constant potty outings and demands for food. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining at all. I welcome her being home the reason for my sleepless nights as opposed to her being gone the reason. Managing three dogs again is a struggle, but once mine calm down from the change things will be easier.

Tomorrow I start my new job - with Abby in tow. I imagine I will get a few interesting looks before I get a chance to explain. And I'm crossing my fingers that Abby doesn't scream her head off every time I walk out of my office.

For the curious, a look at my "bag of bones" (most affectionately said of course)

No comments: