Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Stealing Dogs

I am a "member" on a few dog message boards. I go on about once a week or so - its about all I can take. I like to hear a few funny stories, see some pictures, answer a question or two, but I am not "actively involved". The reason I am not active is because of crap like this I found on Pit Bull Forum:

Okay, so there is a family behind me and they have a pitbull puppy that they do not take care of...at all. I'm sure you know what kind of people I'm talking about. She's never on a chain or leash or anything. They just let her run the block and every thirty minutes or so will look for her. Turns out she's usually in my yard playing with my dogs because I don't want her to get hit. I wish I had a picture of her, she's a five month old puppy, all white with brindle spots on her back, with one brown and one blue eye. Cutest dog ever, and get this, they want to breed her. (Of course). She's FIVE months old, I was talking to them after they came to my yard to collect their dog and they said how she was in heat and they plan to breed her. ...FIVE months. Good lord. She has no manners, no training, no shots...nothing. I feel like I have to do something...

Well, there's a friend up in Wichita who I called today. I told her she was getting a puppy on the 26th. (When I next go up.) Because I want to take this dog to her. I want to save this poor dog the fate of getting stolen, abused or hit by a car. ...Am I doing the right thing? Beth is definitely a person I would trust having a pitbull, and this would be her only dog at the moment so it would all work out. ...I have two weeks to decide, am I right in doing this?

WTF???

You can't STEAL dogs!!! And the thing that made me more angry was the other responsible dog owners tell her to do it!

Huh? Did I miss something??? Since when is it ok to take something that doesn't belong to you just because you don't like (insert description here) I can't take someone's car just because its a classic and they aren't caring for it in the manner I think best!

Now I know that this is a DOG - a living, feeling, being - believe me, I know! But you still can't steal it! I follow many practices that most dog owners "(and even many vets) find reprehensible, but I am so thankful that they can't take my well loved, and well cared for babies away. I am probably one of the few "dog people" I know who actually like the terminology "dog owner" as opposed to "guardian" because guardianship can change, but once you own something, you own it until you decide you don't (and I know that many people don't relinquish their pets properly) Maybe I am just naive because I live in an area when Animal Control works - where they do their job and save the dogs that need saving and EDUCATE the people that need it.

No comments: