Sunday, November 09, 2008

Nightmare

After Abby's adventure she came home with a major case of separation anxiety. Not that big of a deal to me because I have dealt with it before with Mole. He used to scream for hours when I left him and he would loose his bladder/bowel control. After 5 years he is almost completely free of the anxiety and can be left alone for 6 hours with no worries.

Abby has been a bit more challenging because she tends to destroy things or hurt herself when left alone. Due to my schedule and lifestyle she is rarely left alone. I bring her to work every day and she comes in the car on most errands. The few times that i have had to leave her alone she has done some major damage. Its hard to believe that a dog with hardly any teeth can eat through an electrical wire. And when she is left crated she usually manages to escape - despite cords/special locks. The longest she has been alone is 4 hours. Usually I come home to a loose dog and something eaten. Not that big of a deal in the whole scheme of things. On the rare occasion (twice) that I have to be gone longer then 3-4 hours I leave her with good friends of mine that she absolutely loves.

Well last night was just a nightmare for the both of us. I HAD to be gone for 12 hours for a benefit that my work was putting on. I left her with my mom - who she knows, but doesn't "Love". She went back and forth between being crated and being loose. My mom went to the benefit and was gone maybe 4 hours. When she came home, Abby had thrown up everywhere and had diarrhea everywhere. And it continued well into the early hours of the morning.

I feel bad that her stress level was so high that she expressed it in such a vivid way. I also feel bad for my mom who had to clean most of it up since it was still hours before I got home. But I'm kinda all out of ideas on what to do with her when I HAVE to be gone. She can't be left loose, she can hardly be crated. I feel like the only option at this point is to drug her. Not something I really want to do, but not sure what else to do at this point. We are beyond air sprays and oral tinctures - they haven't worked yet . . .

No comments: