Sunday, November 02, 2008

Serious Withdrawal

I think I had my first caffeine withdrawal symptom today.

At first I thought it was just the flu. I haven't been feeling top-notch since Tuesday and while things didn't get progressively worse, they didn't get better either. One thing that had gotten bad, though, was my back pain. It started in my mid back and has progressed over a couple of days, and restless nights, to me not being able to move a whole lot. I slapped some icy-hot on myself and called it a night.

But this morning I woke up to a pounding headache, severe nausea, and extreme irritability. I seriously thought that I had some weird brain tumor and was going to have a stroke in the middle of the bath tub. But I had something important that HAD to get done today, so I pulled myself together and got it done.

On the way back from my super important errand it suddenly dawned on me that I hadn't had any coffee yet today. And my symptoms were the same as those described by admitted caffeine addicts. In fact there are whole websites based on Caffeine Dependence. And more websites based on the effects of caffeine itself and others on how woman with a family history of alcoholism are more likely to have dependence on caffeine.

I found all that out after having a triple shot latte. . .

No comments: