Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Testing Dogs

I go to local animal shelters regularly and temperament test dogs. Every rescue has their own version of a temperament test (sometimes, and more accurately called behavior evaulation) and every person who performs that test, even in the same rescue, will do it differently. And, as you can imagine, the same dog will test differently with different people. Because I am the only person who tests dogs for the rescue I work at, the dog has to *pass* my test.

Sometimes, when I am testing, I will come across a dog that doesn't pass, but also doesn't fail. This is where good judgment, and past experience, comes into play. More often then not, however, I will take these dogs in. Even if it is just to give them a chance to pass later on. Many of the dogs I see don't do well in shelters, therefore they test poorly - or sometimes not at all... And I hope that by giving them a second chance, they may show something worth saving. And, more often then not, they do.

One of my biggest challenges when testing dogs is testing the small dogs. Small dogs, of all breeds, require a different type of evaluation, because they are completely different from larger dogs. My small dog test, however, is completely flawed. I am a small dog person. I have three of them (sometimes four). I know what to do to help the small dog be at ease in my presence. I know how to behave so that a small dog will not feel frightened when I pick him up. I pass more small dogs then I fail. I think they can sense that I am a small dog person and show their friendly side - and sucker me in to take them out of the shelter.

Some days, like today, I can't handle iffy dogs, or small dogs. I need great dogs. I need dogs that I can stick with kids - even my friend's kids. And on those days, I pull hounds. And that isn't to say that all hounds are great with kids, or that hounds in general are better then any other class of dogs. But, in my experience, most hounds pass my test. I am in no way a "hound person" but sometimes you need an doofy, easy going dog that wants to watch the birds. And sometimes you would rather test an easy going doofy dog then one that *might* bite you. And, in all honesty, sometimes you would rather test a dog you know you can take and easily place then one that might not pass and you will forever wonder what if. . .

No comments: