Saturday, November 28, 2009

When to Euthaznize Your Pet

This is a very sad time for one of my best friends. Her beloved cat is dying and she is facing the decision whether/when (or not) to euthanize her. The cat has been sick for over a year, but it has just been in the last few weeks that things have started taking a turn for the worst. I think that this is doubly hard for her because she has never had to make this decision before.

The decision to euthanize a pet is very personal, and it is often one of the hardest decisions that a person will have to make. Some people can't possibly bear the thought and process of having their pet euthanized and have decided instead to "let nature take its course" and allow their pet to die at home. Other people feel that this allows the pet to feel unnecessary suffering and are thankful that we can put our pets to rest before their suffering becomes unbearable. And if you are of the later opinion, the second, and often harder part of that same question is when.

When does it become appropriate to put down a beloved family member? I get this question frequently and my answer has always been "you will know when it is time." What I usually fail to mention is that your time might be different then my time, but both are the right time. I think that the right time is less about the pet's suffering itself, and more of what you can live with when everything is all said and done. That may sound harsh and contradictory to the process, but it is true. Pain and suffering in animals cannot be measured scientifically, and what one person perceives as pain/suffering, may not be seen as such by another person. And what I perceive as suffering, you may not, as your experiences with any particular animal will be different then mine, therefore our perceptions on when the right time is will be different. This does not mean that either person cares less for the pet.

I have had to make the decision to euthanize an animal many times, and I have witnessed too many euthanasias. But the decision to euthanize your own beloved pet never gets easier. Its unfortunate, but this topic is coming up more and more in my circle of friends. We all got our animals about the same time, and we all rescued, so as our own individual animals continue to age, this topic hits closer and closer to home. And even in conversations about someone else's pet, you can't help but think of your own geriatric pets. Even though our own pets aren't allowed to die, it gets harder and harder to believe it when the aging signs come up more and more. And while I don't like to think about it, I often wonder if I will be able to make that decision and know when the right time is when it comes to my kids.

No comments: