Sunday, May 02, 2010

Fostering. . . Again

I was planning on taking the year off from fostering - although I knew that if a medical case came along that I would probably be the one to take him in. We never hope for medical cases - you never hope to come across a dog that has been so neglected or abused that they need it, but we often do. Some we take and fix up and adopt out, some we can't help at all. But when this little guy showed up on the needs rescue list at a south bay shelter, he was impossible to pass up. And being tiny (only 3 pounds) it seemed like my house was the most obvious place to put him.

He is all over the media now with the horrific story of what happened to him - and it IS a terrible story. And everything that has been said is completely true. He is in a lot of pain when he defecates. And, unfortunately, because of the scarring, most of the pain he is in isn't productive, so he tries to go more often then a healthy dog does. He has been with me for only a few days, and my heart breaks with all his crying - and I can't wait until he goes in for surgery tomorrow so that he will finally be pain free.

But, when he isn't in pain, he is just about the cutest thing on this earth. He is a total puppy in every way - much to the chagrin of my old grumpy dogs! Luckily he isn't too annoying, and when everyone refuses to play with him, he goes and plays with "dean" - a stuffed dog that some friends got me YEARS AND YEARS ago after a very special puppy I worked really hard with was finally adopted. He also loves to play fetch and tug. He has no weird fears of people, places, or things. When he is all fixed up, he is actually going to be one very well-rounded and socialized puppy. It's truly amazing what dogs can go through and still be friendly and trusting after it all. He is going to be a great companion to someone soon.

If you are interested in donating to his medical fund, you can go here.

No comments: