Saturday, May 08, 2010

Puppy Envy


I have puppy envy. . . yes, those words actually came out of my mouth. And, as far as I can tell, I am still completely sane.

I'm not the biggest fan of puppies because they have a ton of energy, make a lot of mess, and require a ton of work. I have, from time to time, fallen in love with certain puppies, but those puppies usually belong to friends and the puppies are like my nieces and nephews, so of course I love them. I have never wanted a puppy of my own. . .until today. . .

Abby fell apart half-way through agility class on Thursday. She decided that she didn't like the A-frame, and would only take the dog walk one way. Abby reverted back to her old self and I am not entirely sure why. I was really disappointed and apologized to our instructor, but she didn't seem phased at all by it - guess it's more common then I think (selective memory). Abby and I went out to the agility yard this morning to work on some of the issues. I had to put the A-frame back to half height before she would take it - then she took it joyfully. She was fine both sides of the dog walk today, but she only wanted to jump 12". As much as I love Abby, and as proud of her as I am at what we have accomplished together, it is still frustrating having to re-teach her basic things that she actually LOVES doing.

Today, I also got to work with my friend's puppy. She is a gorgeous aussie who was excellently bred and properly socialized. She was a total joy to work with. She had a great time doing very basic things, and had no fear of anything new. She is super smart and picked up on what we wanted from her right away and was very willing to continue working with us. I found myself thinking that I actually might want a puppy one day. I am a firm believer in rescue, but I have absolutely no problem with great breeders who are actually bettering their chosen breed - and I don't blame owners who want an awesome dog - especially owners who want to do something specific with their dog.

But, another dog is still a long way away for me, and in the end, I will probably rescue an adult - probably with issues. . . but it's always fun to dream of that perfect dog - the one that I can do everything I ever wanted with. . .one without years of baggage to sort through. . . But, in the mean time, I'll continue to work with Abby and be happy with the small success that we have. . .and try not to get frustrated with her when she has set backs. . .after all, she is not a well bred or properly socialized dog. . .and we have still managed to do some amazing things together.

No comments: