Monday, March 10, 2008

No People

Sometimes this sounds like heaven to me. Especially after a long day at work with complaining customers. But the National Geographic Channel did a 2 hour show on what would happen to the world if people disappeared. Aftermath: Population Zero

The show never describes what happens to the people, just that they are gone. And the show is definitely not about what the world would be like if people NEVER existed. It starts from today - ten thousand years of recorded human history.

The show was amazing, not sci-fi at all. I learned so much about how we power our homes and businesses and how catastrophic all that power can be. Even after we are gone, we will still cause major damage to the earth. I also learned that in about two hundred years, most of our buildings, roads, and monuments will crumble and disintegrate. But even after all that time, plastic will still litter the ground.


I've been trying to reduce my impact on landfills, but its easy to forget that the soda can at lunch or the plastic fork will stay in the environment for years. And I never really thought about the electrical waste that I create - as I type on my computer with an overhead light on and the tv going. But all I can do is try to do better from this point on. . .turning off the tv . . .

No comments: