Thursday, March 06, 2008

The Pig and I


A friend recommended this book to me - and I tried not to take offense to it! The complete title is "The Pig and I, How I Learned to Love Men Almost as Much as I Love My Pets." It is written by Rachel Toor and I think it is a bit of a memoir. The story begins in college, lasts through her early 40's, and flip flops between the men in her life and the animals she loved - starting with a mouse and ending with an ass (you'll have to read it to see animal or man!)

I have to admit that I didn't think I would like the book. For one its a much lighter read than I am used to; and two, the subject is about animals. There are only two subjects I absolutely will not read about, and animals is one of them - guess there is really only one subject I won't read about now, but that is a different post. And the cover of the book (well, my book anyway) was PINK! How can anyone take a book with a pink cover seriously? Ok, since it wasn't a serious book, I shouldn't fault the cover, but I still refused to carry the book around.

Despite all that, I was still intrigued. And after reading the back of the book where the publisher says "Any woman who has experienced the pure joy of loving an animal and the often-less-than-pure joy of loving a man will recognize herself in Rachel" I knew I had to read it - if nothing more than for a good laugh. Its no surprise that I love my dogs more than most people I know - and definitely more than all the men that have been in my life recently. How do you tell a guy that you can't stay over because you would much rather curl up with your dogs than with him. And after finishing this book, I no longer feel guilty for going home.


In the end, I really did like the book. I even got a little misty eyed. The second half of the title really sums it up - "How I learned to love men ALMOST as much as I loved my pets." If I can do the "almost" at the end of the day, then I think I could actually have a half-way decent relationship. But thats another post as well . . .

No comments: