Sunday, March 09, 2008

Rocks

I came across this pile of stacked rocks today and it got me thinking. Why?

Why do people stack rocks? Was it a memorial to someone or something? I had started to feel sad thinking that it was placed for some beloved family dog that visited the park often. It made me think about what kind of memorial I would set up when one of my dogs pass (but that will never happen, so . . .)

When I got home, I looked up "stacking rocks" in different ways and what I learned surprised me. Some people stack rocks as trail markers - makes sense, but this obviously wasn't the case as we were on a single loop trail. Other people stack rock as a trap to catch rabbits for food. Definitely not the case as we were in a preserve and there is a Safeway on every other corner. Then I found that there is a professional rock stacking group and groups of regular people who go around to different places and stack rocks - just cause. What a weird thing to do, but by the looks of it these people live all over the country. Not sure if this was really the case because those people stacked much bigger rocks and the stack looked very unsteady.

After all that I feel completely stupid. Naturally I jump to the saddest conclusion. What ever the real story behind the rock stacking . . .

No comments: