Saturday, July 05, 2008

Can Someone Explain It To Her

Please, please, please!

Abby does not seem to understand that she needs to stay in her crates when I put her in them. The crate is there to keep her safe and prevent her from getting lost or hurting herself.

I understand that Abby has some serious issues - I understand that she probably lived in a crate for the first 5 years of her life when she was at the mill. I understand that she has a bit of separation anxiety both before getting lost and now even more after. I know that crating her is stressful on her emotionally, but I don't really have much of a choice.

Abby houdini'd her way out of her crate again - this time with a cone on (and the front door is still closed) Instead of getting lost, she ripped open two stitches. The whole reason I left her in the crate was because I thought it would be safer having her confined rather then having the opportunity to jump up and down off the bed. The jumping motion will easily rip open the stitches but so will crawling out of a tight space.

I'm going out tomorrow to get a hard plastic crate. I don't think she will get out of that one. Although she will probably break some teeth on it - she has already tried to chew her way out of this one. And I think that teaches me my lesson of going out for an hour and getting dinner. I guess food is not in my future. . .well, maybe if its an out-door dog friendly place.

No comments: