Thursday, July 17, 2008

Disappearing Chip

Microchipping your pets is the most important thing you can do for them - next to spay/neuter. Even though Abby was not returned home from her chip (she had a tag on her collar), it put my mind at ease knowing she was chipped.

WAS being the operative word. . .

Abby was chipped when she first came into my life - I know because I scanned her and registered her. But when she came back, her chip did not read. I am one of those weird obsessive people who randomly scan their dogs "just to make sure" And I did this for years - even before I ever lost a pet. But working in shelters I see many pets that had to have been someone's loved companion but had somehow gotten out and were not able to be found - thats how pocket came to be here. When I scanned Abby the other day - just to be sure - the chip was not reading. At first I thought it had migrated because she lost so much weight; but after scanning every inch of her body it did not show up. Thats when I scanned my dogs - just to be sure -and their chip came right up.

I wasn't taking any chances with this dog, so I chipped her again. Poor thing probably thought I hated her because just minutes before I gave her stinky butt a bath. So now she is chipped with HomeAgain. It wasn't my first choice because my other animals are chipped with Avid. But HomeAgain was what was in the hospital, so HomeAgain it was. . . or is. . .

I'm going to scan her again on Monday "just to be sure"

No comments: