Saturday, April 25, 2009

Abby Centric

I've been thinking about Abby a lot lately, and one of the reasons is that two weeks ago was Abby's one year "birthday" (minus a 6 week furlough) with me. April 10, 2008 I made a decision that changed my life completely. . .at least for the next 10 or so more years. I offered to take a puppy mill rescue into my house until a "real home" was found for her. After spending a few minutes with her it became very clear that she couldn't go into a regular home; she needed a very special home. Turns out I was "special" enough to take her on.

Since I have been looking back, I took a look at a few blog posts from that time and one stuck out. As I was looking through it I reread a question that was posed to me at the time:

Does it make you kinda sad that you won't be able to do the things that you used to do when you just had Pocket and Mole?

I remember thinking "yeah, it makes me really sad!" Especially considering how "pack up and go" my kids were. And, looking back, I can see that I said something along the lines of "We'll figure it out. . ."

The funny thing is that we did. We did figure it out. Sure I changed my life around to fit a dog that was never "in the plan" but we somehow made it work. And not just in the gotta-get-by-somehow sense. In the sense that this dog actually became a part of my "pack up and go" family. Sure, we don't go see any fainting goats, or play around in rivers; we still get to go to the ocean, and I still get to have a life. Sure I may come home to a house that is half-eaten, but everyone prefers sleeping on the same pillow anyway.

No comments: