Saturday, April 04, 2009

I need to give up my cats

I don't talk much about my cats because they don't actually live with me. They were "foster failures" from college when I volunteered at a cat rescue. I bottle fed both and, for some reason, they hadn't been adopted before I graduated in June, so they moved back home with me. Once home, it turned out that they liked my mother a lot more. Ahhh, the nature of cats. . .

Behaviorists will say that animals do not contain the cognitive ability to act out of spite - these behaviorists have obviously never lived with cats. I have one perfect angel of a cat, and one spiteful MoFo of a cat. I actually love them both, but if I show more love to the perfect angel, I had better sleep with one eye open or else I might get smothered to death!

I am not sure why people feel the need to give up their cats at 8 years old. But, I get a disproportionate number of people wanting/needing to give up their 8 year old cat. What is it about living with a particular animal for 8 years that suddenly makes you think that you can't do it for another 8? So what if he is pooping out side of the litter box? clean it up! Especially when you admit to me that you aren't cleaning the litter box as often as you should. Ok, he broke your favorite vase, but why the hell would you put something that valuable up high when you have a cat? Cats can climb, it is something that they do. Did it take you 8 years to figure that out?

I think that there should be some screening that we can put adopters through to see how they will react to the cat exhibiting cat-like behavior in 8 years time. I guess I can't complain too much that people are giving up their animals at such a fast rate when people give up their spouses in even faster rates.

And, just in case anyone is interested: I have two domestic short haired cats that I will need to give up in 2 years when they turn eight.

No comments: