Sunday, May 31, 2009

My Dog is Weird

We had our first training class today. As to be expected, Abby was a wreck for about half of it. We got there early - about 15 minutes early. I was hoping that we could do some training in the environment before everyone else got there; thinking that if she was already semi-comfortable that she would have an easier time when the class was full. I should have known better. Nothing is ever easier with Abby.

But through all the pacing and whining and trying to escape, Abby did ok. She did sit, down, find it, name recognition, watch. She did most of these when the instructor/other participants weren't actively moving. The strangest thing was that Abby did the best when the teacher was trying to be weird. Because this is wallflower class, part of the lesson is socialization. Abby was perfect when the instructor came by on crutches and in a wheel chair. My idea of Abby's internal thought process

"See, I knew that lady was weird! I have been waiting for her to do something crazy! I was right! Ha!"

Somehow I have a dog that can go over (baby) A-frames, go through tunnels, over jumps, and on a (non-teetering) teeter yet she can't handle something as simple as a person she doesn't know walking anywhere near her. . .

My dog is weird!

No comments: