Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A New Language

I've been learning a new language recently. And no, it's not French!

It's Agility.

I had been to many dog shows before as well as a few other events where agility was run. I thought I knew the basics. . .Boy did I ever get an awakening!

AKC
CPE
NADAC
USDAA
TDAA

And these are just a few of the North American groups who hold agility trials.

From there, you learn

Standard
Jumpers
Tunnelers
Gamblers
Snooker

These are just a few of the courses your dog can run.

And what are they doing on these runs?

Walk -it
Scram
Weave
Contact

Its truly amazing what you can teach your dog to do! And how much fun that the two of you can have together in 90 degree heat!

The dogs and I had a great time. Ok, I had a great time. . .the dogs had a crate time. . .

The dogs did spend the majority of the day in their crate. They did get lots of potty walks - and a lot of water, though. It was good for them to be around the trial atmosphere. . .not that I will ever trial one of them. . .We'll see. For now I enjoyed supporting my friends and learning a lot about a sport I enjoy. I think that it will take some sweet talking to get my three interested in doing any of what we saw yesterday. But then again, I do carry a lot of chicken in my pocket (wait, MY pocket, not pocket-pocket!)

No comments: