Tuesday, April 22, 2008

So. . .

Don't read into this, but I started feeding Abby RAW tonight.

I know I said that I wouldn't do this, and its probably unfair to her, but its so much easier for me. And to be honest, I'm not really sure how to feed anything else at this point.

I started out feeding canned Evanger's canned food. I did this because it was the healthiest option in canned food I could find. They cook their food and they do not include any organ meat; but they do offer an organic option. I fed this while her gums were healing from the cleaning and teeth pulling.

Canned food can only last so long in this house because the smell is just too gross for me. I really can't complain about the texture, but it just looks like dog food. Gross! After talking to my food lady I switched her to Ziwi Peak. A great option but an expensive one. She was also having a bit of soft stool on this food. I think because it is a little rich. She liked it, but it took her a while learning how to eat the soft squares. Also, my kids just had to have some too. My main problem with this food is how much to feed. There is a feeding guide on the back of the bag, but since I haven't used it as food the proportions are difficult for me. Abby is already fat enough, the last thing she needs is to get fatter due to my stupidity.

So, raw it is. I do feel that it is unfair to her since her forever-home probably won't be feeding her raw. She will have to switch back to kibble at some point, but I don't think that feeding raw in my house is really detrimental to her health. If I felt that it was, I probably wouldn't be feeding it to my dogs. I have to say, it made me feel good to see her scarf her dinner down - a dinner that was perfectly proportioned to her proper weight. Hopefully her stools will go back to their original size and shape soon. But more hopefully, I hope she gets into her new home so she can start adjusting and I can start sleeping through the night again.

No comments: