Saturday, April 12, 2008

Warning!!!! Gross Stuff To Follow

I read a lot of other blogs - most are animal related in one way or another. Someone I read on a semi-regular basis is Dolittler. There are all sorts of interesting animal stuff on there from Microchiping to chiropractic care. But today I found something even more interesing "7 unhealthy habits of veterinarians" Seriously? This can't be good! The public must not know exactly how gross we people really are.

But this gave me an idea. Maybe by confessing my "sins" I will stop doing them . . . Probably not. But I'll let you in on a big one:

I HARDLY EVER WEAR GLOVES

Its true and its gross. I always wear gloves when I knowingly dive into a fecal specimen - but sometimes you don't know and its not avoidable. I hardly ever wear gloves when scaling teeth. Or when I'm cleaning out ears. I should always wear gloves when handling the feral cats, but do I? of course not. I take it for granted that most diseases really aren't zoonotic. That doesn't mean its not gross.

On the flip side, I wash my hands constantly. If people only know how much Dial we go through in a given week. Luckily we get free hand sanitizer from the big drug companies, cause we go through that like a college kid goes through a keg! And we are constantly sanitizing surfaces - cause we know that there are germs that other animals can catch. And its gross not to - says the kettle to the pot...

No comments: