Monday, June 07, 2010

Training Log

Yesterday I decided to start a training log for Abby.

Most serious trainers use training logs, and we aren't that serious about all of this. But after Abby's A-frame fiasco, I started thinking that a training log might be more helpful in working with/through her issues.

I write a lot of stuff about Abby on this blog, but I don't write down the details of exactly what she did, how she did it, and how she felt doing it. I also didn't keep track of where we were and what the weather was like, and how I am feeling that day. I am not sure if real trainers keep track of all that minutia, but since Abby's fears are based on seemingly tiny things, I think that the more I keep track of, the better I will be at handling her.

I have learned so much more about training dogs since Abby came into my life, but I still feel that I have a lot to learn in training Abby. Everyday that we work together I feel that we are becoming more and more of a team, but I always know that I am the bigger part of that team, despite the fact that Abby is doing the actual work! If I am not motivating her, and if I am not up-beat enough, Abby will shut down. That is no fun for her, and it makes me feel like a bad mom. But I think that we are finally starting to find our groove in training, and I think that the log will help us polish up some things. I still think that she has a lot of potential.

No comments: